Personal Growth | The Heart Of It

8.27.2018



ately, Pinterest has been all about inspirational quotes. The one's I continue to pin are all about overcoming your fears, recognizing your past, and giving yourself grace. I didn't even realize it, but they all happen to be from the same author, Morgan Harper Nichols. Her saying are literally everything I want to write. This one (down below) is the one I fell in love with the most. It speaks volumes of where I am at right now. I wanted to post this on Instagram, but I thought it deserved a less vague description of my view of growth. So here we go!



Life isn't always about success. I believe it's the windy roads, long nights, and deep trust in God. It is then when I have the ability to grow and learn. Growth is difficult as it requires change. I've never been a fan of change, because it holds many unknowns. I am a planner. When things aren't scheduled or goals aren't met, I tend to lose it. So, a change of location, job, or friendships are hard enough, let alone within yourself.

Last July I was no the same girl I am today. I was packing my bags for college, excited to make new friends, and not letting my fears get inside my head. I had waited my whole life for this ideal college experience I made up in my head, and how quickly that all seemed to change. I did everything I desired: journalism, choir, living in the dorms, being on the college newspaper, and meeting new friends. But, instead my year became complicated and different than I would have ever imagined. For that I am eternally grateful.

Without the struggles or fears I had along the way that pulled me down, I wouldn't have had to change, listen or forgive. Nothing is more beautiful than the ability to recognize our flaws and strengths, and still give ourselves grace. The never ending type of grace the Lord gives me every single day. "Even in the darkness, light is still pouring in." What a wonderful reminder to embrace all that I have been through...good and bad.

Many say to never look to the past, as you are not going that way. BUT, I say that is the only way I will know how to move forward.

It's acknowledging all that I've learned, never forgetting! To be proud of all that I had to face. I never want to lose sight of last year, for it makes me who I am today. I could easily ask why all this happened to me. Why my ideals changed and disappointed me. Or why I hold onto certain values so tightly. Rather, I say thank you God. You made me unique. Full of ambition to know myself fully through You. If it wasn't for my challenges, I wouldn't have needed to place all my trust and hope in Him.

I love that through change, I have the ability to sprout into who I was suppose to be all along. I am so proud of the steep hills I have climbed to get me where I am today. When I really dug deep into my roots, so many terms were redefined in the process such as, success, importance, reconnection, and acceptance. When I began to work on these terms in certain areas of my life, everything seemed to click. A new perspective was gained, and a healthier mindset was placed. It's amazing how understanding a piece of who you are gives you the courage to become content and confident. My story makes me stronger, and gives me the tools I'll need for my next one.

4 comments

  1. Sometimes it's the things we don't expect - the things that go differently than planned - that make up the best parts of our lives. This is a beautiful post ❤️.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm I'll have to look into Morgan Harper Nichols.
    Thank you for sharing your thoughts. It's hard to work through these seasons and gain new perspectives but it can also be SO rewarding!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can relate so much! Through challenges, God has made me a stronger person!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautifully said! Throughout our lives we see where we were and how far we have come. It's all to be celebrated even if what you went through was hard. All those challenges shape who we become.

    ReplyDelete

© A Beautiful Heart. Design by FCD.