How I Can Be Myself In A World That Wants To Change Me

2.18.2019


ith my graduation growing closer it is making my mind ask questions over and over again. (What's next, will I enjoy it, will it be worth it?) It is saying goodbye to a special chapter in my life, while trying to figure who to be in my new one. There is so much pressure to be something at a certain age or time. It's overwhelming, really. Change seems to be praised a lot in society, and I hate it. I shouldn't have to change who I am or any life events to be something.

This is happening all around us, whether we realize it or not. Keeping up on our favorite influencers on Instagram is becoming harder, as algorithms change weekly. We barely have enough time to listen to number one hit songs on the radio before the next one comes out, let alone fashion trends, hashtags, or the latest preset filter. So, basically you have to be doing something new and big everyday to be noticed.

My life may not be interesting enough to follow or photographs not edited to perfection. But, I chose to share it all on the blog, because that is me. I have a perspective and story that is unique. I refuse to sit back and stay silent. The world may encouraging me to change, dress differently, or live more freely, but at the end of the day I am only me. So, here are a few ways I can stay true to myself in a world that is ever-so-changing.



1. // Be kind.
Being kind has been my life motto for such a long time. When I am kind to others, and myself it bring me so much joy. It is easy to freak out, keep a grudge, and be self absorbed. Sometimes, it's what society encourages. But, it simply does not bring me any satisfaction.

2. // Embrace my introverted self.
This is one area of my life when I once believed needed to change fast. I learned very quickly that it was the extroverted individuals who made all the friends, thrived at party's, and had lots to talk about. I tried all of that, but it left me feeling drained and more lonely than before. Yes, large crowds and new people make me nervous, but those things aren't everything in life. I have found more contentment in being shy, self aware, and independent, because that is me.

3. // Grow in my creative endeavors.
Like I mentioned above, I love to be creative. Even though its been six years, this blog of mine is tiny (who cares, right?). It is my outlet that I can get lost in, and for that I can be proud.

4. // Travel, Baby, Travel.
Staying true to myself can be felt the most when I travel. It reminds me where I come from, my likes/dislikes, and how blessed I am.

5. // Stop apologizing. 
I love that I don't have to be like one else. In fact, it's almost impossible. That is my gift, and I am done apologizing for it.

3 comments

  1. Well written, Jenna! If I have any advice for post grad life it's to not get stressed over timelines. I fell into a slight depression after graduating college because I thought I did everything right to enjoy a job after school. The real world isn't always like that. Be persistent and utilize the connections you have. You never know where they may lead you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for this!! It is a bit overwhelming to see life after school, but it's all so exciting at the same time. It's a dream I've been working towards for a long time now, so I'm just focusing on the joy of it all (even though it's challenging). :)

      Delete
  2. Mobile marketing is one of the most personal ways that you can keep in touch with your customers. This is important to know because you can specialize content directly to the customers that you wish to target. It is a marketing technique that actually shares in the person's lifestyle.satta king play bazaar

    ReplyDelete

© A Beautiful Heart. Design by FCD.