Perfectionism | The Heart Of It

8.09.2019


erfectionism is a funny thing. Desperately do we seek such an unobtainable personality trait, and then fall apart wondering if it is because we aren't doing enough. A performer through and through am I, but many times do I find myself trapped in a perfectionist mindset. Why? Because I do not want others to see me as weak. I would rather drop due to exhaustion rather than defeat, so I keep going to produce. Productivity can come in many forms, just as long as they are perfect enough to meet a standard. We all have that one area in our life that must appear perfect (or for some, all areas). Personally, I see this shine through with my longing to obtain perfect grades, beautifully captured photographs, an organized calendar, and goals to tackle. I believed (and sometimes still do) that these things would make me feel strong. They would bring me power. I would appear capable.

Isn't that the definition of perfectionism?...the ability to appear put together in order for others to believe that we are more capable than originally perceived. That, however, is my take on this concept. Well, I am tired of proving myself. I shouldn't have to achieve anything on a scale of perfection in order for it to count.

To kick off my summer in May after I graduated, I spent a few days away at The Mission Inn Hotel with my mom to finally feel free of deadlines and anxiety. For the first time since I began blogging back in 2012, I left my DSLR camera at home. I didn't want to be bothered with finding the perfect lighting or worry if it'll fit in my bag. Every corner of that hotel deserved to have its photograph taken, and I often wished I brought my camera along. After all, an iPhone can only do so much. But, it was during these moments that I learned to be more present.

To be present is a new discovery for me. It means leaving behind all that I care about; chasing after all, that appears and feels the most perfect I can make it. Resting in any capacity takes great contentment, which is the opposite of perfectionism. Reading by the pool felt more calming than ever before. Why? Because I realized how much my body use to had to function in order to be a high-capacity type of person. I never let my mind rest or my shoulders drop. Instead, I filled my body with tension and thoughts that turned into anxiety. Being present is more about caring about the simple things; bare face of makeup, tea in a childhood mug, or taking the time to journal.

Perfectionism has us believe that "if I look perfect if I work perfectly if I act perfect and do everything perfectly" it will exempt us from the feelings we hide from; judgment or shame. After all, isn't that why I feel a need to display such perfectionism? If my life looks put together than I can escape all disappoint or opinions from others, and instead only feed off of their praise. I cannot be naive and believe that this type of mindset could ever be cured, but there are ways I am going to stop falling into the trap.

Trying to keep up this image only creates exhaustion, fear, and keeping people at arm's length. Being perfect is just not real. I've found that my intention was to be able to "fit in" but in the end, it only makes me less relatable to the world around me. No one is able to have a connection that is built on trust and compassion if perfectionism is the foundation. We must allow for some cracks to bleed through if we ever wish to make an impact on someone's life, or simply our own. I challenge you (and myself) to stop being so busy trying to be perfect, but more present.

9 comments

  1. I agree, it's hard to take a step back and soak up the moment sometimes, when we want everything to be perfect we worry about every little detail. Having kids helps, as they are all about living in the present moment, haha! I've learnt a lot from my boys :)


    Hope that you have had a great weekend :)

    Away From Blue

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been doing a lot of personal work in the "art of letting go" as some might say. :) Letting go of everything being perfect and my need to control every situation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a different take on being perfect. I am a unique individual - there is not another me out there. That to me is perfection because my mold was broken the day I was born. I am just learning to accept who I am and it has been extremely freeing to do that. My mother always told me that I marched to my own beat. I have finally realized that she was right. And I'm quite okay with that. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is beautiful! Thank you, so much for sharing! Letting go of perfection is definitely something I'm working on.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that you created space to breathe and fill yourself up again!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is such a good reminder—we only have so much control in this life. It’s something I always have to remind myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely right, we only have so much control!

      Delete
  7. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

© A Beautiful Heart. Design by FCD.