5 Habits To Commit To For Spending Less In College

8.23.2018


bet us college girls can understand the high cost of earning our degree's, and the bucket loads of money that we pour into such a dream on a yearly basis. If it wasn't for my two year community college path, I'd be buried deep in debt. Thankfully, I learned a few things during my sophomore year while I was saving up money to put down my junior year at a University, so today I thought I'd share some tips. Being on a monthly budget isn't something I've had to do a whole lot of, because I've always kept a part time job helping with fun spending money.

But, my junior year at Vanguard I decided on not working so enjoy the full college experience. Hence my need for a serious budget. Here are some quick tips that have helped me stayed within my budget, not spending money on careless outings, or wishlist items!


1. Challenge yourself. 
One thing I have tried is to make challenges on when and how much I can spend per month. I try to limit myself to only so much cash during the week, and then bonus cash on the weekends with friends. 

2. Make wish-lists. 
Trying to save money yet I make you keep a wish-list? Yes. Here's why...we so easily get lost in everything we see that's on sale, or connivence ourselves of what we can't live without that we mix our wants/needs. With a list, try to only buy or work towards one item a month. 

3. Keep all receipts. 
This is a new habit for me, and it may seem like a no brainer, but it's hard not throwing away a receipt, or going green and not asking for one at the cash register. But here's the thing, it's easier to see a monthly total spending, especially if you're using cash. 

4. Use cash. 
I used this rule all throughout high school, but then I found how easy a debit card was to swipe everywhere. But then I kept swiping it literally everywhere. So the benefit of using cash is that once it runs out, it's gone. This way you don't rely on a credit card with monthly debt. You use what's apart of your budget, and spend no more. 

5. Quality vs. quantity. 
When spending it's so important to understand value. Try to find pieces of clothing, makeup, and even home decor that are worth their price. It's easy to go crazy in Forever 21 because their cheap, but those prices add up too, and then you'll be back sooner making another round of purchases. 

Post a Comment

© A Beautiful Heart. Design by FCD.