Self Care | The Heart Of It

11.15.2018


elf care has honestly become such a trendy word. So much so, I believe it has lost it's meaning and purpose all together. Yet, lately in my life it has been such an important one for me to recognize and practice. I am not talking about a spa day, watching a special movie, or spending time with my girlfriends. No, that would fall under "me-time." I'm talking about self care. Things that I must do for myself, even when it's difficult.

One way I can do this for myself is by saying the word no. I am sure you know what it's like to have too much piled up in your weekly schedule. It is exhausting. Sometimes it is nice to busy, constantly on the go. That way I don't have to focus on myself. But after a while, nothing is more desired than saying the word no.

I struggle with this concept, because saying no has always meant a lack of productivity. And as a three on the Enneagram test (the achiever), it is how I gain acceptance.

But, I am slowly learning how unhealthy it is to constantly worry about my list of achievements. Every season is a reflection of something new, such as growth, rest, or creation. Well, mine right now is a mixture of all three. In order to not lose myself in this process, an understanding of true self care is needed more than ever. After all, how can I be accepted by others if I haven't taken the time to truly accept myself?

You see, saying no means saying yes to myself.

Saying yes to myself more often means listening to my body and mental health, as that is the essence of self care. Indulge in self care in such a way that it creates personal growth in a more powerful and deeper way, than what any bubble bath could do.


 p.s. this is my 500th post published on the blog! Thank you for your support all these years by reading A Beautiful Heart. 

2 comments

  1. This is such a lovely post and such an important topic! Self care is definitely something we all need to prioritise for our own wellbeing and mental health x

    Lauren | itslaurenvictoria.co.uk

    ReplyDelete

© A Beautiful Heart. Design by FCD.